#Europe Travel Alert- We alert U.S. citizens to the continued threat of terrorist attacks throughout Europe. https://t.co/Z1vjRmuU9O
— Travel – State Dept (@TravelGov) May 1, 2017
The Department of State alerts U.S. citizens to the continued threat of terrorist attacks throughout Europe.
Traveling to Europe this summer looks super appealing with all the cheap fares being offered by various airlines. The US State Department issued an alert on May 1st to make sure travelers are informed and aware of possible threats in Europe. The alert is not meant to scare off potential US travelers, but is a means to educate and provide guidance.
The site references the recent terrorist attacks in France, Russia, Sweden, and the United Kingdom which prove the intentions ISIS, al-Qa’ida, and their affiliates have to plan terrorist attacks in Europe.
TIPS ON STAYING SAFE
If you are traveling between countries in Europe, please check the website of the U.S. embassy or consulate in your destination city for any recent security messages. Review security information from local officials, who are responsible for the safety and security of all visitors to their host country. U.S. citizens should also:
- Follow the instructions of local authorities. Monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.
- Be prepared for additional security screening and unexpected disruptions.
- Stay in touch with your family members and ensure they know how to reach you in the event of an emergency.
- Have an emergency plan of action ready.
- Register in our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
For updates and more info, visit the State Department website.